2023 Tax Declaration : How to declare your N26 bank account
As a French resident, you're required to declare any foreign bank account. Read on to learn how to do it.
3 min read
Do I have to declare my N26 bank account?
All French residents who have an account abroad are obligated to declare their bank account. As N26 holds a banking license in Germany, you must declare your N26 bank account to the French tax authorities when you file your 2023 tax declaration.
Why do I have to declare my bank account?
French regulation requires you to declare any bank account opened, used or closed out of France when you fill up your yearly tax declaration.
Don't forget to fill our your declaration: "Failure to declare a bank account opened abroad is liable to a modification of € 1,500 which can be reached at € 10,000 when the account is opened in a State which has not concluded an administrative assistance agreement with France allowing access to banking information (CGI art 1649 A, 1736 IV) ”.
Budgeting made easy
Here's how to declare your account
The declaration of your taxes for 2023 concerns the 2022 fiscal year. Therefore, you will have to declare your N26 account if you opened and used it in 2022, or if you closed it during this previous year.
The declaration of the use, opening, or closure of your account is done directly in the online declaration form of your 2022 income, accessible from your personal space on the official tax authority website.
- When completing the information regarding your "income and expenses" requested in Step 3, go to the "Divers" section. You will have to tick the box 8UU "Comptes à l'étranger, Revenus de source étrangère, Reprise de réductions ou de crédits d'impôts, Revenus d'activité et de remplacement soumis aux contributions sociales, Revenus du patrimoine exonérés de CSG et de CRDS".
- In the "Déclarations annexes" window which appears, tick the box for the Cerfa form N° 3916 -3916 bis"Déclaration par un résident d’un compte ouvert, détenu, utilisé ou clos à l’étranger".
- Access the form by clicking on “Annexe n° 3916-3916 bis” at the top left of your screen.
- After clicking through, and if the form is not pre-filled, you will have to indicate how many accounts you want to declare. Indicate "1" if your N26 account is the only foreign account that you opened, used or closed in 2020.
(If your account already appears because it has been declared in the past and if it is still open, you will simply need to make sure the information is correct and click on "Report").
- Fill in the Cerfa form indicating the information below for your N26 account
To make it easier, you can copy and paste the following information:
- Caractéristiques du compte : Compte courant
- Date d'ouverture :
- Désignation de l'organisme gestionnaire du compte : N26 Bank AG
- Adresse de l'organisme gestionnaire du compte :
- Pays : Allemagne
- Complément d'adresse : -
- Rue : Voltairestrasse 8
- Indicatif pays - Code postal - Ville : 10179 Berlin
And that's it!
If you have any questions, our specialists are here to help you : you can contact our Customer Service from the Livechat of your N26 app or by email.
The bank you'll love
Love your bank
Related postsThese might also interest you
At N26, we’re all about helping you navigate complex financial topics and simplifying money management. We’ve put together a handy guide to help you better understand the French tax system. Ready?
Find out exactly what counts as a business expenses in France, as well as how to declare them and get reimbursed.
Understanding your tax household will help you file your taxes correctly. N26 is here to give you the most important information on optimizing your tax return based on your household composition.