An Update on N26’s US Operations
It is with gratitude and appreciation to all who have joined in our journey that we have made the decision to sharpen our focus on our European business.
1 min read
For the past two years, we’ve had the pleasure of providing our 100% mobile banking experience the world loves to hundreds of thousands of people in the US. It is with gratitude and appreciation to all who have joined in our journey that we have made the decision to sharpen our focus on our European business. As a result, our product will no longer be available to customers in the US after January 18, 2022, and we will be closing all accounts. No other markets in which N26 operates will be impacted.
It has been an incredible journey, and we’re proud of everything we’ve accomplished with your help and feedback. All of our learnings from our two years of growth in the US market are being constantly applied as we continue to scale our global business.
We’d like to take this opportunity to thank you, our US customers, for your support. We are committed to providing our customers with an informed path forward as we wind down our US program.
If you are an N26 customer holding an account in the US, you will already have been contacted with further instructions on how to withdraw your funds and ensure a smooth closure of your account.
What happens next?
If you are an N26 customer in the US, be sure to check the email address connected to your N26 account for a formal notification of the account closure date along with instructions and detailed next steps on how to withdraw your funds, if applicable.
In the meantime, you will have full access to your account and N26 app, so you can spend or withdraw funds normally. All Axos Bank® sponsored US N26 accounts will continue to receive FDIC insurance protection on a pass-through basis up to the applicable legal limit.
What happens after January 18, 2022?
All US N26 accounts will be closed on January 18, 2022. If you do not take any action before January 18, 2022 and still have money in your account, we will issue a check to the address we have on file with your remaining account balance. Please allow at least 14 business days for the check to be processed and mailed out.
How do I withdraw my money from my account?
If you have money in your account (including in Spaces), please consider the following ways that you can withdraw money out of the account:
- Provide your N26 account number and routing number to your alternative bank and, from your alternative bank, request a debit ACH transfer out of your N26 account.
- Withdraw cash for free from your account at over 55,000 Allpoint® ATM locations. Alternatively, you can withdraw cash from any ATM where Visa or Plus is accepted, (fees and surcharges may apply). Please be aware that there is a $1,500 daily withdrawal limit.
- Spend the money normally using your debit card or Apple Pay® or Google Pay™ until January 18, 2022.
- Contact N26 customer support via live chat or phone and provide your alternative bank account number and routing number, so we can assist you with closing your N26 account and sending you any remaining funds via ACH transfer.
What other actions do I need to take?
In addition to transferring your money prior to your account being closed on January 18, 2022, please consider these key actions you may want to take:
- If you have direct deposit or any recurring payment set up for your N26 account, please contact your employer or the merchant to update the account information to an alternative bank account.
- If you have money in your Spaces, please move it to your main account to ensure that all money is withdrawn before your account is closed on January 18, 2022.
- If you have Round-Up rules or scheduled external bank transfers, please cancel them before your account is closed.
I don't have access to my registered email address/registered mailing address, how do I contact you to collect my funds?
If you need further assistance with fund withdrawal or transfer, please contact N26 customer support via live chat from the N26 mobile app or call 1-888-626-0626. To use the live chat function, simply login to your app, click on ⍰ icon at the top right corner, select “Support Chat” and verify yourself.
Will I still be able to access my app and transaction details once the account is closed?
No. Once we close the account you will not be able to log into the N26 app or directly access historic account information. We advise you to download your account statements before the account is closed. Please note, any account information needed after account closure can be requested by emailing email@example.com
I have another question, how can I speak to customer service?
Please contact N26 customer support via live chat from the N26 mobile app or call 1-888-626-0626. To use the live chat function, simply login to your app, click on ⍰ icon at the top right corner, select “Support Chat” and verify yourself.
The N26 account is offered by Axos Bank®, Member FDIC. N26 Inc. is a service provider of Axos Bank. All deposit accounts of the same ownership and/or vesting held at Axos Bank are combined and insured under the same FDIC Certificate 35546. All deposit accounts through Axos Bank brands are not separately insured by the FDIC from other deposit accounts held with the same ownership and/or vesting at Axos Bank. The N26 Visa® Debit Card is issued by Axos Bank pursuant to a license by Visa U.S.A. Inc. The N26 Visa Debit Card may be used everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.
Related postsMaybe some of these will interest you
Beginning today, N26 will be available in the US. Excited? Good. So are we.
We hope that N26 will change the way millions of Americans bank for the better.
At N26, we are doing everything in our power to make sure our banking and customer service capabilities remain uninterrupted and ready to support you in these uncertain times.