About the opportunity
N26 Inc. is seeking a proven and transformational fraud leader to spearhead the U.S. expansion strategy. This individual will develop, lead, and oversee strategic initiatives that will prevent, detect, and mitigate fraud risks and losses. In doing so, this leader will initiate and develop the U.S. Fraud Operations team, including defining team scope and onboarding Fraud Operation Specialists. Working closely with the U.S. leadership team, this leader will be responsible for instilling a culture of prudent fraud management within the organization while unlocking future growth and innovation.
Reporting directly to the Interim General Manager of N26 Inc, the Head of Fraud Operations is responsible for overseeing efforts to detect, prevent and mitigate fraud risks and losses, maximize fraud loss recoveries, and manage a highly effective Fraud Operations team. This individual will develop policies and procedures in relation to fraud risk mitigation programs, regulatory requirements, industry trends and best practices. They will partner with Legal / Compliance, AML, Product, and Technology partners to build processes, tools, and reporting to prevent fraud losses to N26 and our customers, as well as to proactively decrease the overall fraud risk profile of the organization.
In this role, you will:
- Work closely with the U.S. Interim General Manager and leadership team to communicate fraud strategies and best practices to the rest of the organization
- Develop a Fraud Operations team that will maximize effectiveness of fraud detection, management, and reporting activities
- Build strong relationships with stakeholders across Operations, Legal, Compliance, AML, Engineering and Product to ensure fraud principles are entrenched in every new product, feature or operational process
- Collaborate with:
- Product and Strategy leads to create and execute a strategic roadmap inclusive of proven fraud risk management approaches and methodologies
- Legal, Compliance and AML teams to create and maintain a robust and effective control environment with a strong focus on regulatory compliance
- Global Fraud teams to align on company-wide projects, best practices and org. structures
- Establish and own regular reporting and review processes, conducting in-depth analytical projects to refine fraud decisioning
- Define and track fraud KPI and KRIs to measure success of initiatives, both fraud related and customer acquisition and retention
- Frequently present to the U.S. leadership team regarding fraud performance, remediation and transformation activities
- Maintain external knowledge of regulatory and compliance expectations, industry trends, current banking information, and techniques related to fraud risk management
- Ensure compliance and satisfactory fraud internal audits and regulatory exams
What you need to be successful:
- Has demonstrated experience of having successfully built or led a fraud organization within a consumer technology or financial services company
- Is a transformational leader with proven management skills and the ability to instill a culture of prudence while continuing to promote innovation
- Is an outstanding leader with a strong track record of successfully developing and delivering Fraud strategies within customer centric and commercially minded businesses
- Is a nurturing manager with experience in coaching and mentoring talent; demonstrated evidence of developing and nurturing high performing teams
- Is a subject matter expert who can understand N26 Inc. risk systems and support analysis that surfaces patterns, trends and bugs that help inform fraud policies and processes while directly impacting the business
- Is an experienced operator who, when necessary, can:
- Synthesize data into actionable strategies and tell the story
- Work with cross-functional teams, implement strategies, thought leadership to drive fraud risk analytics infrastructure
- Analyze large sets of data to drive business decisions, policies, processes and strategy around risk mitigation
- Use various programming languages, such as SQL, Python, to conduct analysis (preferred, not required)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), ACAMS certification, JD, or other relevant professional designations is a plus
- Above all, the successful candidate should embody the N26 passion and drive to change the way the next generation think feel and engage with their finances, constantly thinking of new ways to support the business and customers, and relish the opportunity to challenge the status quo
The qualities that lie at the heart of our interview process include candidate experience, equal opportunity and transparency. With these guiding principles in mind, our process is designed to allow both parties to get a better understanding of what working with each other would look and feel like. Here are the steps you can expect throughout your interview experience with us:
- Screening Call - the screening call will be your first touchpoint in clarifying the framework conditions for the role
- Hiring Manager Interviews - your next step will be a conversation with the hiring manager who can provide you with more information specific to the day-to-day expectations for the position
- Final/Team Interviews - finally, meeting key stakeholders and peers who you would be working with is an important last step in allowing both parties to engage in meaningful conversations to help make a final decision
Interviewing for a new role is a big deal, and we know that. We appreciate you considering N26 as the next step in your career. The Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please don’t hesitate to let us know how we can help.
Who we are
N26 is the mobile banking platform that is redesigning banking for the 21st century. Technology and design empower everything we do and it’s how we are building the global banking platform the world loves to use.
N26 launched in the U.S. in 2019 and already has over 500,000 customers. We've eliminated physical branches, paperwork, and hidden fees for an elegant digital experience and supreme savings. Giving people the power to live and bank their way is what gets us out of bed in the morning and inspires the work that we do.
Founded in 2013, N26 now has more than 7 million customers in 25 markets across the world. The company employs more than 1,500 employees across 8 office locations: Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Paris, Vienna, New York and São Paulo.
Sound good? Apply now for this position.
N26 is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.