About the opportunity
Are you ready for your next career step? We are seeking a Manager Non-Financial Risk and Internal Controls to join our Risk Management team. This is a unique opportunity to drive the non-financial risk management at a cutting edge technology-driven bank. You will take full ownership for various non-financial risk and internal controls topics and work cross-sectional across functions, products, and markets to assess, control, and report non-financial risks N26 is exposed.
In this role, you will:
- Continuously develop the non-financial risk and internal control system (ICS) framework (e.g., procedures, policies, methodologies/manuals, tools, and processes) to ensure operational resilience, process efficiency, and adherence to the latest legal and regulatory requirements (e.g., German Law on Control and Transparency in Business (KonTraG), German Stock Corporation Act (AktG), German Banking Act (KWG), MaRisk, and BAIT)
- Be key contributor in establishing the Non-Financial Risk function as a cross-sectional risk governance function across Risk Management, Compliance/Anti-Financial Crime, Information Security Management, Business Continuity Management, Outsourcing etc. in close collaboration with all relevant stakeholders
- Support the regular and ad hoc risk assessment process (MaRisk AT 2.2) to gain an overview of N26’s risk profile in the context of a risk inventory (overall risk profile) and support the internal capital adequacy assessment process (ICAAP) by providing input to adverse non-financial risk scenarios
- Taking full ownership for assessing, controlling, and reporting non-financial risks (e.g. OpRisk, ICT and information security risk, outsourcing risk, financial crime risk and fraud risk) and continuously developing N26’s non-financial risk taxonomy and risk strategy (e.g., monitoring for emerging risks)
- Design and implement a data-driven non-financial risk reporting (incl. statements on effectiveness of internal controls and development of key risk indicators for non-financial risks) to provide management and advisory board with actionable insights on N26’s overall risk profile
- Help shaping and implementing the role of non-financial risk contact persons to be embedded in business units to support the identification, analysis, and controlling of non-financial risks in daily business in close collaboration with all relevant stakeholders
- Further develop the process of collecting actual, potential, and boundary OpRisk events in the loss database and enable non-financial risk contact persons to report on OpRisk events in their area of responsibility and be responsible for tracking mitigating measures
- Be responsible for the ICS life cycle management and controlling process supporting all business units and control functions (e.g., Compliance/Anti-Financial Crime) in terms of scoping, documentation, control design assessment, testing, measures in the event of control weaknesses, and re-testing
- Design, implement, and perform second-level controls for mitigating non-financial risks based on the ICS life cycle management and controlling process according to the latest regulatory requirements and common industry standards (e.g., ISA 315, IDW PS 261, COSO, COBIT/ITIL)
- Continuously analyse potential, actual, and boundary OpRisk events, complaints, internal/external findings, legal/regulatory requirements etc. to effectively support process owners in designing and implementing appropriate and effective internal controls to mitigate risks
- Support analysing potential implications and consequences of commencing business activities in new products and markets (MaRisk AT 8.1), material organisational and operational changes on internal controls or IT systems (MaRisk AT 8.2), and merger and acquisitions (MaRisk AT 8.3) in close collaboration with all relevant stakeholders
- Transform the impact of legal and regulatory requirements for non-financial risks and internal controls into actionable measures and design and implement respective training materials (e.g., classroom training, e-learning, leaflets) across business units and non-financial risk contact persons
What you need to be successful:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, or other relevant areas
- 5+ years of professional experience in Non-Financial Risk Management, Internal Controls, Operational Risk Management, Enterprise Risk Management or Risk Governance gained in banking/financial services or in a Big 4 firm
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills, creativity, critical thinking, as well as ability to identify problems and propose solutions
- Excellent communication skills both on technical and on managerial level
- Sound knowledge of relevant legal and regulatory requirements (e.g., German Law on Control and Transparency in Business (KonTraG), German Stock Corporation Act (AktG), German Banking Act (KWG), MaRisk, BAIT) and common industry standards (e.g., ISA 315, IDW PS 261, COSO, COBIT/ITIL)
- Experience in GRC technology would be an advantage
- Track record in project delivery
- An entrepreneurial vision, an autonomous attitude, and a ‘get things done’ approach
- Hands-on approach and eagerness to tackle new topics while demonstrating a quick grasp in conceptual project work and strategic thinking
- Fluent in English and German
- Strong topic ownership and bias for action
- Critical thinking and drive to improve the status quo
- Passion for risk management, internal controls, and complex problem-solving
- Both attention to details and strong conceptual thinking
- Flexibility in a fast-changing and agile environment
- Actively help yourself and the team to be successful
- Will to continuously learn and act upon direct feedback
What’s in it for you:
- Accelerate your career growth by joining one of Europe’s most talked about disruptors, and a LinkedIn Germany Top Startup Employer three years running 🚀
- Personal development budget, discounted public transit pass, German language classes, fitness memberships, childcare services, N26 premium bank card, employee loans, and your choice of a Mac or Windows laptop
- 26 vacation days per year, with an additional day for each year of service - up to 30 days
- A high degree of collaboration and autonomy while working with a group of diverse peers, and access to cutting edge technologies
- A relocation package with visa support for those who need it
Who we are
N26 has reimagined banking for today’s digital world. Technology and design empower everything we do and it’s how we are building the global banking platform the world loves to use.
We've eliminated physical branches, paperwork, and hidden fees for an elegant digital experience and supreme savings. Giving people the power to live and bank their way is what gets us out of bed in the morning and inspires the work that we do.
Founded in 2013, N26 now has 7 million customers in 25 markets. Our talented team works across 8 global offices in Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Milan, Paris, Vienna, New York and São Paulo.
Sound good? Apply now for this position.
N26 is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.