About the opportunity
We are seeking a Principal Software Engineer for the N26 Feature Engineering department in Berlin or Barcelona.
In this area we built everything that is used by our internal and external customers, from our N26 apps & website to internal tools and systems. As a Principal Engineer within N26 you have the unique opportunity to shape the world’s future of mobile banking. You will join a high pace environment and work with various teams around the globe.
In this role, you will:
The tasks and challenges are manifold and as a Principal Engineer you will help several teams to deliver software & systems of high quality and make progress on tech-driven projects that span the whole organization. You are a vital contributor to the technical vision and roadmap and help to build a sustainable engineering org with the highest technical standards. You help teams to grow and enable them to decide highly complex technical questions. You are alternating between high-level architecture on a company level but also are able to be a good sparring partner in the details. Your excellent communication skills allow you to engage technical and non-technical audiences, share your knowledge and be an advocate for technical progress in the company.
We encourage you to proactively grow the technical skills within the department and be a mentor to our Tech Leads, Staff & Senior Engineers. With systematic reviews you can track their learnings and will know how to strengthen our engineering culture and Software Craftsmanship in the best way possible.
What you need to be successful:
Experience in former similar roles, working with various Technical Leads of cross-functional teams. You bring sound knowledge of distributed software development organizations, large-scale systems and cloud solutions. You see yourself not as an architect sitting in the ivory tower but working with the teams hands-on to deliver excellent results to be proud of. Being passionate about technology and the wish to share this passion with your teams. You keep up with the latest trends and are happy to share impulses during our GSDD with the rest of the engineering organisation. A relentless drive for clean and sustainable architectures, code & documentation and a general attitude to get things done.
- Degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent professional experience
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, with a proven track record of leading large-scale tech projects
- Experience in banking, FinTechs or payment solutions in general is a plus
- Very deep understanding & work-experience of JVM-based technologies (especially in Kotlin/Java) is required
- You feel at home when working on complex backend systems that allow no room for error and perform 24/7 with the highest degree of reliability
- Also you bring an understanding of how modern app & web development works and how to integrate in the best way with backend systems
- Proper API design & system communication & optimization
- Mastering complex microservice architectures and its observability
- Deep understanding of cloud native applications requirements and tradeoffs
- Master scalable continuous integration and delivery systems
- Actively help yourself (and others) to be successful
- Continuously learn and challenge the status quo
- Exceptional communication skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Proven track record of making good technical judgement
- Use modern technology to fuel customer innovation and advance the company
- You feel comfortable in distributed and remote work settings
- Highly (self)organized individual
What’s in it for you:
- Accelerate your career growth by joining Germany’s #1 Top Startup Employer, named by LinkedIn two years running 🚀
- Personal development budget, discounted public transit pass, German language classes, fitness memberships, childcare services, N26 premium bank card, employee loans, and your choice of a Mac or Windows laptop
- 26 vacation days per year in Germany, with an additional day for each year of service - up to 30 days ; and 24 days (up to 28 days) in Spain
- A high degree of collaboration and autonomy while working with a group of international peers, getting things done attitude, and access to cutting edge technologies
- Rotating selection of hot and cold drinks and snacks in the office, Friday Celebrations once per month with pizza, wine, and beer, plus a monthly company-wide lunch and learn
- A relocation package with visa support for those who need it
Who we are
N26 has reimagined banking for today’s digital world. Technology and design empower everything we do and it’s how we are building the global banking platform the world loves to use.
We've eliminated physical branches, paperwork, and hidden fees for an elegant digital experience and supreme savings. Giving people the power to live and bank their way is what gets us out of bed in the morning and inspires the work that we do.
N26 has international offices in Berlin, Barcelona, New York and Vienna.
Sound good? Apply now for this position.
N26 is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.