Who we are
N26 has reimagined banking for today’s digital world. Technology and design empower everything we do and it’s how we are building the global banking platform the world loves to use.
Our app attracts over 10k new users every day, primarily through word of mouth. We've eliminated physical branches, paperwork, and hidden fees for an elegant digital experience and supreme savings. Giving people the power to live and bank their way is what gets us out of bed in the morning and inspires the work that we do.
About the opportunity
We are seeking a highly motivated attorney to help build and maintain a best-in-class legal department at our New York office. This role reports to N26’s US Senior Legal Counsel, and is a well rounded, highly visible position which will provide you the opportunity to counsel a fast-paced, high growth FinTech on a wide range of complex and emerging topics. As the third US attorney to join N26, you will be expected to have expertise in US banking regulations, as well as in other relevant areas of the law, and to be a highly analytical problem solver focused on the proper management of risk to make informed business and strategic decisions.
With over $670 million raised, and a $3.5 billion valuation, one of the most valuable and well-funded FinTechs in Europe is about to break the US banking model.
If you can operate with a high degree of autonomy while collaborating globally; working with cutting edge technologies, and getting things done while striving for constant growth, personally and professionally; let's build banking technology that the world loves to use.
In this role, you will:
- Provide general legal support to N26 in the US in order to formulate and execute an enterprise-wide legal and compliance strategy.
- Advise various stakeholders in the company’s operations, product, tech, marketing, and HR teams on a wide variety of legal issues - including on requirements and best practices for the the development, execution, and marketing of new consumer banking products.
- Perform legal research, draft memoranda, and provide specific guidance on US federal/state banking regulations as well as on other areas of the law - including cybersecurity, privacy, intellectual property, consumer protection, corporate governance etc.
- Assess legal risks arising from new products and services, and recommend policy, procedure, and process changes to mitigate said risk.
- Draft, review, and negotiate third party contracts for different business units.
- Draft and implement company-wide compliance policies and procedures.
- Help execute internal audit programs and related monitoring/surveillance.
- Maintain up-to-date and relevant subject matter expertise on all applicable laws and regulations, including new, proposed, and pending legislation which may impact N26’s US operations.
- This is a hands-on role and you'll be expected to handle significant and complex legal matters with short turnaround time
What you need to be successful:
- US J.D., licensed to practice law and a member in good standing in New York state.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in legal and/or compliance roles at a financial institution, top law firm, or relevant government agency; FinTech and startup experience a bonus.
- Substantive knowledge and demonstrated expertise in state/federal laws and regulations impacting the US banking/e-commerce sector.
- Excellent academic record and outstanding references.
- Must complete a successful conflicts check.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to influence a broad range of stakeholders and decision-makers.
- Ability to quickly provide sound advice on complex legal issues, with an appreciation for the daily rigor and immediate demands of a high growth start up.
- Ability to think broadly and proactively in order to further the company’s strategic interests and protect its reputation over the long term.
- Connector and trusted advisor who can build strong relationships across various business units.
- Process-driven and methodological approach to spotting issues and solving problems in a sound, scalable manner.
- Solution-oriented mindset which considers the needs of the company as a whole.
- Self-motivated and willing to take on new responsibilities and challenges, even if outside areas of expertise.
- Resilient, with a proven ability to learn from setbacks and course correct.
*N26 Inc. does not currently offer or provide banking services on its own behalf or for its affiliates and is not a bank. N26 Inc. is wholly owned by N26 GmbH, which is also the parent company of N26 Bank GmbH. N26 Bank GmbH is a non-US bank, is not FDIC-insured, and does not offer or provide banking services in the United States or to US residents.