Back to BlogProduct & Services

Thomas Cook goes into administration: what does this mean for me?

At 2am this morning, the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) announced that the Thomas Cook Group has ceased trading with immediate effect. We know that this is a distressing situation for N26 customers, so if you’re unsure of your next steps, we’ve tried to answer some of your potential questions below.

What happened?

Rescue talks to save the 178 year old company have failed, placing it into administration. The CAA have confirmed that the government has asked it to launch a repatriation programme over the next two weeks, starting from today until Sunday 6th October.

What does this mean?

  • Passengers with Thomas Cook fares are being advised not to travel to the airport as no flights are operating.
  • An estimated 150,000 holidaymakers are stranded abroad. Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has confirmed that 45 jets have been chartered to fly customers home as close to their departure date as possible.
  • The company’s 600 UK high street stores are expected to close.

I’m on an ATOL protected holiday/have one booked for the future. What happens now?

Don’t worry - your holiday is covered. The ATOL (Air Travel Organisers’ License) scheme will cover accommodation as well as return flights if customers are abroad at the time of collapse. Future bookings are also protected by the scheme. If your holiday is not ATOL protected, the Department of Transport have also confirmed that you will still be flown back to the UK.

If your holiday is ATOL protected, you should have received an ATOL certificate at the time of your booking. This certificate will confirm that your money is protected by the ATOL scheme if the travel company you have booked with collapses. You will be able to claim back your money from 30th September via the CAA’s Thomas Cook Website. You will have to fill out information about your booking. The CAA have stated that all refunds should be processed within two months, if your claim has been submitted properly.

My holiday is not ATOL protected. How can I get my money back?

If you were not provided with an ATOL certificate, it means your holiday is not ATOL protected. We suggest that you first contact your travel insurance company. If you do not have travel insurance, we can dispute the payment on your behalf with Mastercard to try and recover your money. You will have to provide us with information about your booking. Please contact our customer support through chat for more information on this.

I’m abroad right now. What should I do next?

Customers can visit the CAA’s Thomas Cook Website. Travellers scheduled to return to the UK within the next 48 hours or who are having issues with their accommodation can ring 0300 303 2800 in the UK or +44 1753 330 330 from abroad. For any further questions please contact customer support.

If you have any further questions regarding Thomas Cook, please email:

Related posts

These might also interest you